*** This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations to our winner Heather P.***
Have you heard the term “STEM learning”? It is becoming more and more widely known, so much so that I’ve heard it mentioned in the cartoons and movies that my son has been watching recently.
STEM learning is the future and offers an array of skills to kids involved in the programs. All parents want the best for our kids and want to set them up for a successful future, getting them involved in STEM learning programs early can make all the difference in the opportunities they have down the road.
We were able to get a sneak peak at some of the STEM programs being offered across Canada through Level Up Kids this summer at a recent event held in Burnaby. There are so many different areas to explore from robotics, to programming and coding and even how to set up and run a YouTube channel. We got to sample different programs offered by Level Up Kids and learned so much and had loads of fun while doing it. Did you know you can use a banana to control your computer? We saw exactly how and tried it for ourselves. It was pretty cool to see. We also got to check out Scratch to level up our coding game, play around with minecraft mods and get up close and personal with a robot controlled by a tablet before we built our own “Brush Bot”.
There are so many benefits to the programs being offered by Level Up Kids beyond this short list but here are 8 really good reasons beyond just learning how to code a computer why you need STEM learning in your kids life.
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them. Students learn to understand the problem, find a way to attack it, and work until it is done and they can pass to the next level.
2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively. Students learn that it helps to break down complex problems into simpler ones. Designing algorithms requires using logic and abstract thinking.
3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others. Students will work together, exchange ideas, and discuss various strategies to solve the problems.
4. Model with Mathematics While working through different programs, students will use X and Y coordinates, spatial directions, find shortest paths, measure distances, calculate areas, work with random numbers and more.
5. Use appropriate tools strategically. Most programming tasks can be solved in several different ways. Students learn that selecting the appropriate tool can save them time and effort.
6. Attend to precision. For a computer program to work, the logic of the underlying algorithm must be precise, and moreover the program needs to be written and formatted very carefully.
7. Look for and make use of structure. Looking for patterns and making use of structure is a fundamental component of computer programming. Students learn that finding a pattern simplifies the logic, and makes the solution of the problem easier.
8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning. Computer programming teaches students to generalize their thinking. They learn to use solutions to previously solved problems to attack more complicated ones.
Science is all around us, technology is ever changing and expanding, engineering is basic design coupled with the ability to creatively solve problems and create solutions mathematics which is in everything we do (whether we like it or not). All of these skills are necessary for the next generation to compete in the job market and write their own future.
Kids already use and enjoy technology more today than ever before – and helping them stay in the loop on the “how” of it all is an important skill set. The bonus? It’s also super fun for kids to learn, and their brains soak up STEM learning like sponges!
Let your kids experience a new way of learning and develop a passion early on for technology, math and science by seeing how it relates to real life situations.
With an array of options available to kids between the ages of 8-15 years being offered throughout the summer locally at the BCIT campus in Burnaby and at various other locations across Canada you will have not problem finding an option that will spark excitement and creativity in your child. Whether they have an undying affection for minecraft, a fascination with YouTubers or a natural curiosity of how things work Level Up Kids has a program for you!
We are partnering with Level Up Kids to send 1 lucky kid to camp so if you have a tech savvy kiddo who would love to learn the language minecraft, coding, YouTube and more check out all the camps offered and tell us which one your child would love to attend. Enter below or click here.
This post is part of the YummyMummyClub.ca and #LevelUpKids sponsored program. I received compensation as a thank you for my participation. This post reflects my personal opinion about the information provided by the sponsors.